How does a building services engineer help?

Residential projects - how does a building services engineer help

How does a building services engineer help?

It is important that new homes are designed to run efficiently, are easy to control and maintain and encourage wellbeing and good health. New residential developments will often require the following mechanical and electrical services:

  • Heating
  • Hot water
  • Cold water
  • Above ground drainage
  • Natural ventilation
  • Mechanical ventilation
  • Communal area ventilation
  • Dry risers Sprinklers
  • Building Management system
  • Communal plant room
  • Small power
  • External lighting
  • Internal lighting
  • Security
  • Telecommunications
  • Fire alarm systems
  • Renewable and low energy services such as photovoltaics and heat pumps.

Whilst providing all of the above services, a development will often be required to meet planning energy targets, Building Regulations Part L1A, the heat metering regulations as well as overheating criteria. The overheating risk needs to be taken seriously in residential developments, especially as it is not currently regulated sufficiently by the Building Regulations.


How does a building services engineer help?

MBA are not only able to provide consultancy services for the mechanical and electrical services design but also with the production of overheating assessments such as advisory document TM59: Design Methodology for the Assessment of Overheating Risk in Homes as well as Part L1A Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) calculations. We are also able to assist at planning stage, working with the design team to assist with providing a development that is compliant with the Building Regulations, Local Authority planning conditions and any overheating criteria.

Recent News

Building Regulations Part L Volume 2, 2021 Edition

New energy efficiency standards for non-domestic buildings in England are due to

Get in Touch